During week 2 of this class assignment, I further explore Vince Russo's autobiography: "Rope Opera: How WCW Killed Vince Russo". Now, first off, I need to apologize for the error I made in the first review of this book. I accidentally forgot to include the "Rope Opera" part of the title so I apologize. On to the review!
When we last left this book, we were talking about how Disco Inferno likes martian invasion angles. As we proceed further into the book, Vince goes into his love for Barry Bonds (and attempts to make excuses for his alleged use of steroids), he talks about his first days at WCW, his encounters with WCW personnel J.J. Dillon and Bill Busch and how the meetings with them went after the first few weeks at his new job. He also goes over an incident with Dillon where Dillon was talking trash on Vince within earshot of Vince and how that confrontation turned out.
The middle of the book is alot more focused on his time at WCW than the rest of the book. He goes over how he brought up the idea of former UFC champion Tank Abbott winning the World title and how that went over. You would think upon reading that last line that having a former UFC champion as your champion would be a good thing but in Abbott's case, it wasn't. While being tough and rugged is good in the MMA field, being that way in pro wrestling does you a limited amount of good. In order to be successful in pro wrestling, the best thing to be is athletic and easy to work with. Tank Abbot was neither of these. He was also terrible on the microphone, which is considered a great equalizer. So the idea of him being anything but a lower level champion was ludicrous. Almost as ridiculous as having David Arquette as the World Champion but that's another story for another blog.
One thing that is interesting about the book, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it, is Vince's constant commentary about his Christian faith. He refers to it a great deal throughout the book and uses it to reference the decisions he makes through his life and so forth. Some people, one of my friends included, may feel he talks about it to excess. I know if I were having an intimate conversation of any kind with mr. Russo, then it would bother me to have to talk about it so much but in this book setting, it's a little different. It may be because I've been one to ridicule the storylines and angles he has been known to create throughout his career, it's nice to know that he has something such as religion in his life.
No comments:
Post a Comment